The Rules of the Association (Revised 2012 AGM, subscription increase only)
- The name of the Association shall be the Broomfield House-Owners' and Residents' Association.
- Any house owner or resident within the boundaries as may be from time to time determined, and whose application shall be approved by the Committee, shall be eligible for membership.
- The object of the Association shall be to protect and advance the interests of its members by such means and in such manner as shall be from time to time determined.
- The Association shall be independent of Party Politics, but this Rule shall not preclude the Association from participating in local affairs
- An Executive Committee ,comprising up to 20 members including any person appointed as Chairman, Secretary or Treasurer by the Executive Committee, shall be elected at the Annual General Meeting as the Executive Committee. With the exception of such matters as by these Rules require the authority or approval of the Members in General Meeting, this Committee shall have the power to do all such things it considers necessary to carry out the objects of the Association; and to appoint Sub-Committees with power to co-opt additional members to serve on such committees, such co-opted members not to exceed in number the members appointed by the Executive Committee.
- Each road covered by the Association will form a part of a smaller area into which the whole area is subdivided for the purpose of specific local communication around matters of local concern. There is no requirement for any organisation set up within these smaller divisions to follow any specific method of operation, but they should all be formed by members if they wish to make representations to the Executive Committee for any support, including Financial support. These divisions will be given a name determined from time to time by the Executive Committee.
- The quorum for meetings of the Executive Committee shall be one-third of the total number of both (a) Committee Members who have been elected at the Annual General Meeting and (b) co-opted members whose co-option has been reported to the Half-Year Meeting, and for general meetings 20 members of the Association.
- The annual subscription shall be £4.00 (per household), payable from January 1st each year.
- The Annual General Meeting shall be held before 31st May each year, at which all Officers and members of the Executive Committee retire, but are eligible for re-election.
- At least one other general meeting shall be convened not more than 6 months after the Annual General Meeting, and at least 4 weeks’ notice shall be given to all members.
- A Special General Meeting shall be convened at any time upon the request of the Committee or upon the request in writing signed by 25 members addressed to the Chairman or Secretary, stating the object for which the meeting is requested.
- At any meeting each member shall have one vote, the Chairman having a casting vote whenever there is equality in voting. Voting may be by proxy if necessary. The proxy must produce a current membership receipt of the member for whom the proxy is so acting.
- A Committee meeting shall be held not less than every three months.
- These Rules may be amended or added to at any such general meeting as aforesaid. Any amendment or addition to these Rules which it is proposed to submit to such general meeting must be notified in writing to the Secretary 28 days before such meeting.
- The Committee shall have power to co-opt a member to fill a casual vacancy on the Committee, until the next general meeting, when the appointment shall be confirmed or another member appointed.
- The funds of the Association shall be at the disposal of the Executive Committee, but shall not be used for purposes other than the objects of the Association. Any proposal involving the Association in expenditure or liability of more than £300.00 on any one item, or any proposal for the granting of an honorarium to any officer or member of the Association for service rendered, or for a grant to any local organisation working to objectives agreed by the Association, shall be approved by two-thirds majority of the members present and entitled to vote at the general meeting at which such proposals shall be submitted for approval.
- Two Auditors shall be appointed at the Annual General Meeting if at any stage the total assets of the Association exceed £6000.00.